Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Slow down

Just was listening to a song that I've always liked. "Vienna" by Billy Joel. I have always listened to Billy Joel since I was a little girl, stealing Dad's CDs to play in my room. I still know all of the words to "We didn't start the fire." You are jealous, I know. Anyway, this song had slipped through the cracks for me until the movie "13 going on 30" played it. Then I LOVED it, just as I loved the movie.

I ended up googling the song(because I google everything.....what else can I do when I'm up all night ;), and I was even more interested in learning the meaning behind Billy Joel's creation of the song. Apparently, his father lived in Vienna, and Billy would visit him often. One time, he saw an old woman, 90 or so, as a street sweeper, which is quite different from what you might see in our country. He asked his father about it, who explained that the elderly in Austria were still a valued part of the community, still "useful." Billy Joel then thought how wonderful an idea it was- that despite growing old, there would still be use for him in this world, and he didn't have to be in such a hurry to get things.....evident in the lyrics "Vienna waits for you." Its a nice thought.

I like the song because it can help calm me down sometimes, much like a parent's advice. It reminds me to step back and breathe. I'm usually pretty laidback about things. However, sometimes I will look at where I am now in my life and what I want to do or want to be, and I get worried. I want to go back to school. I want to do more mission trips. I want to pay off my credit card. :) Someday I would even love to get married and have some kids. I know I don't have to do any of this now, or even for a long time. I just have been amazed how fast life really does pass you by---even if Ferris Bueller told us it would!

In 3 months, I will be 28(and I know that isn't terribly old), but it is a change from your mid 20's to late 20's. Its a shift. Its been a stressful month with another big move/job change/life change on my horizon, and I would be lying if I wasn't apprehensive. But as I've learned with all of the changes that I've made in my life, everything has always turned out okay. When you are in the thick of it, though, it can be hard to remember.


Slow down you crazy child
You're so ambitious for a juvenile
But then if you're so smart tell me why
You are still so afraid?

Where's the fire, what's the hurry about?
You better cool it off before you burn it out
You got so much to do and only
So many hours in a day

But you know that when the truth is told
That you can get what you want
Or you an just get old
You're gonna kick off before you even get halfway through
When will you realize
Vienna waits for you

Slow down you're doing fine
You can't be everything you want to be
Before your time
Although it's so romantic on the borderline tonight
Too bad but it's the life you lead
You're so ahead of yourself
That you forgot what you need
Though you can see when you're wrong

But you know you can't always see when you're right
You got your passion you got your pride
But don't you know only fools are satisfied?
Dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true
When will you realize
Vienna waits for you

Slow down you crazy child
Take the phone off the hook
And disappeaar for a while
It's alright you can afford to lose a day or two
When will you realize
Vienna waits for you.

No comments: