I was reading the New York Times, and I came across this opinion column. Back in 1933 when Americans were feeling economic stresses somewhat like the ones we have today, there was a man in Ohio who took it upon himself to spread the Christmas spirit as best he could. He was, by no means, a millionaire, but he seemed to know what kind of riches was really important. During the Christmas season of 1933, he placed an anonymous ad in the city's daily newspaper offering some modest monetary assistance for those who needed it...."for those who might hesitate to knock on charity's door." People wrote to him, telling stories of their inability to pay due to financial loss, family sickness, etc. And this man, for no apparent reason, would send these people checks with small amounts of money....maybe even only $5, just for the hell of it.
Its a pretty nice story actually. Someone giving just for the sake of giving. Its kind of nice to think that there were(and I know still are) people out there like that. We need more stories like this in the newspapers!!!
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/22/opinion/22gup.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1
No comments:
Post a Comment