Ever since I was little, my mom and dad has always told me that I am in control of my feelings. Bad things are going to happen, and that is certain. No one can predict or prevent a devastating car accident, a terminal illness, or even a broken nail. You can put your heart out on the line for someone, and they can break it. This is why life is stressful. I can control how I treat other people, but I have no control over how they treat me. The situation is most likely out of my control, yet my reaction to the situation is not.
I'm the first person to admit that, yes, I can dwell on my drama. I can take up residence in negative town for a couple days when the tough spots hit. I believe everyone has that right to dwell on it for awhile. I mean, we are human, and if we didn't have a reaction when something shitty happened in our life, then something is probably wrong with us. But I also know myself well enough to know that I like to be happy. I love to laugh and smile and be happy, and I have more than enough reasons in my life that I can be thankful for. So I eventually will try to pull myself out of that rut when I remind myself of what my mom and dad always told me. There's only so much complaining you can do before you need to decide what you're going to do to make it better.
So it can just be frustrating to be around people who haven't learned this important lesson. The people who dwell on the bad or difficult things in their life ALWAYS, who always want to be the victim, and even worse, the people who use this as an excuse to treat people like crap. What's that saying about everyone is fighting some kind of battle, and that's why its important to be nice. Something like that...Everyone needs an outlet for their frustration, I'll agree. A long walk or drive with my music is always my saving grace.....cuddling with my innocent little pup, looking at pictures, or even a big cookie can be good too. Don't judge me for eating my feelings sometimes ;).
Looking back over my own life, I see the difficult times, which now seem a lot less difficult. And I see what helped me to get through them....what worked, what didn't, etc. Just seems to me that we've only got this one life, so you might as well fight for a good one. Dwelling on the bad stuff really just keeps you stagnant, and you'll never get anywhere.
"Nothing in the world is ever completely wrong, my dear. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."
What I'm listening to: "Dream On" by Aerosmith
3 comments:
Wow! This was a very mature and impressive blog! Possibly one of my favorites! That is why you will always be a favorite of mine.. you have such wisdom! :)
amen, woman! sometimes i think you have the insight of a 90 year old woman!
Once again, I am amazed by my beautiful and insightful daughter. The wisdom you hold is what makes you the wonderful person you are. I'd like to think I had a part in this, but I know that you are much smarter than I am. Love you lots, Yo Mama
Post a Comment