Monday, November 17, 2008

GO BIG RED!


For the past couple Nebraska football games, I have gone to the Central Texas Nebraska Alumni Association's watch party here in Austin. I don't know what kept me from going until now, but it has easily become one of my favorite things to do here. My Nebraska pride is no secret, and it has been so great to find a taste of my home here in Texas. I miss Nebraska a lot, but this definitely makes things a little bit better. Its true that Nebraska fans are the same no matter what zip code you are in. Seriously, we're a little nuts. I love the way Nebraska fans yell at the tv....who cares where we are! THis is serious business. This is FOOTBALL! The energy of Nebraska fans is the same whether we're in Memorial Stadium, or if we're in a bar and grill in Austin, Texas. I love us for that!

At the watch party, they play "There is No Place Like Nebraska," just like they do in the stadium, and the crowd claps along. There is a life-size version of Lil Red in the Bar, and they sell Husker merchandise. If we had a der viener schlinger, then it would really be home. I have loved this team since 1994 at my first game where Nebraska beat Kansas. It has been 14 years since, and I think I love them a little more each day. My memories of going with Grandpa for all of those years, my crushes on the players(hehe), and my life as a UNL student has made this place and team all the more special. There is no such thing as a fairweather Nebraska fan. We're real. And I get to go to another game in less than 2 weeks to watch us beat Colorado! Its going to be sooooo cold!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved this!!! GO NEBRASKA!!!
There's no place like home! Beat Colorado. Here we come Gator Bowl. Yo Mama