Thursday, November 13, 2008

Slam!


Tonight, I went to the Austin Poetry Slam at the Scoot Inn. It was my third time going, and I'm still as big a fan as ever. My friend introduced me to it back in August. It is just such an awesome thing. Its a contest starting out with 12 poets and the audience as judges. The group narrows from 12 to 6 to 3 to 1 by the scores from the judges, and the top 3 get money for prizes. I sit in the audience sipping on a pitcher of the finest lager in the house while enjoying these talented people's performances. These people will slam on just about anything....politics, cheese, love, dreams, etc. They also use such feeling and animation in their performances. They only get 3 minutes to share their poems, but its amazing how they can get you to feel exactly what they are feeling in such a small amount of time. Its really inspiring, kind of makes me want to start writing poetry again! I brought my co-workers with me tonight, so it was a lot of their first times. I think I've made them fans as well, as we've decided to do it "Q wednesday" from now on(gotta love the nurse lingo!!)

1 comment:

Becca said...

ahh! i love it! when i lived in lawrence, i went to poetry contests all the time! i miss them! i'm so glad things are going well for you in Austin! i have a theory that good people attract good people!