Over the past couple weeks, I have been showered with text messages from friends whenever they hear a good song, or one that reminds them of me. Megan and Jenn heard some George at the Brooksider. Yvonne heard PYT at her bar. Katie Nedd heard a cover band play "Faith" by George Michael. Honestly, I LOVE getting these. I'm really glad that my love for music has rubbed off on so many people, and I love being known for liking the music that I do. For my whole life, music has always been my way of expressing myself. Like Rob says in "High Fidelity," "The making of a good compilation tape is a subtle art.....using someone else's poetry to express how you feel." Its part of the reason that I love the music that I do. There isn't one song in my iTunes playlist of almost 3000 songs that I can identify at least one memory that goes along with it. That's why you can pretty much assume that when I put a song on my facebook or myspace, I have a reason that's better than "well, i just liked it."
When I first met my friend, Jay, down here, he said to me that he didn't think we had the same taste in music when he was questioning why I had George Strait as my ringback. He liked rap/hip-hop and heavy metal. I had to explain that, not only is "All my exes live in Texas" a great song, but it reminds me of Megan's and my roadtrip to OKC last spring, so that's why the song is special. And he also needed to know that my love for country music only scratches the surface of the music that I love. BELIEVE ME! Country only accounts for maybe 30% of my collection. I'm sure people who see me in my cowgirl boots and two-stepping may not be able to believe that I won a karaoke contest singing "Beat it"(with backup dancers....amazing!)my sophomore year of college. It also may be hard to believe that I blast Beastie Boys on my way home from work most mornings to keep myself awake. Or when I'm really stressed out, I play some Ella Fitzgerald or Looking Glass(Brandy, you're a fine girl) to calm me down. That's just some of the times that I use my different music.
So anyway, thanks again for thinking of me when you hear these amazing songs! I love being known for the music!!
No comments:
Post a Comment