Wednesday, October 14, 2009

True Compass

I recently finished reading Edward Kennedy's autobiography, and I must say that it was awesome. I am not going to make this into a book report, so don't worry. I honestly could not put it down because it was so interesting to hear the history of our country through his eyes. He was really a great storyteller.

One of the things I liked best about the book is how he mentioned several times when rumors and such would surface about him or what he was doing in his personal life. He would never respond to it, as he stated "to respond to a silly rumor or tabloid would give it life and make people believe it was actually a story worth responding to." In his life, he had several times in which his character was called into question, and he did face the public when it was deemed necessary(i.e. Chappaquidick and his nephew's trial). I think that was good that he always knew the line of which to respond to the public's worries. After all, serving the public was his job.

I also enjoyed hearing about his dealings with the individual presidents, as well as the way they would treat him. It was interesting hearing the behind-the-scenes on so many parts of history, and I learned a lot from it. It was also sad to hear the impact that his brothers' deaths really had on his life. Lastly, I loved hearing about him meeting his second wife and the relationship that they had shared. Everyone knows I like a good love story, and this one is pretty cute. In conclusion, I strongly recommend this book to anyone who has an appetite for history. I am actually planning on reading it again, just to catch any of the details I missed the first time!

**In other news, Olympia Snowe(republican) just voted for the health care bill in the Senate Finance committee, helping to pass the bill 14-9. It's somewhat reassuring that a bill may actually be passed sometime soon. I'm hoping it does everything it needs to do, and it sounds like this one has some of the makings that we're hoping for. Every American citizen deserves health care, so let's make it happen, WASHINGTON!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to all of that! I am so proud of you! Love you, mom