Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Austin's most well known citizen.

One of Austin's most well known citizens suffered from what appears to be a brain aneurysm, according to News 8 Austin. Leslie, our homeless guy who walks the streets of South Congress or Sixth in women's lingerie, was found last week unconscious by I-35, and he was taken to a local hospital. Until today, he was in serious condition with minimal brain activity. Today, he was upgraded to fair. They say he may need to live in a medical facility for the rest of his life because of the injury to his brain. Austinites held a vigil for him tonight near the med center he is in, praying for a recovery.

One of the stories I like to tell about my first moving to Austin is when I took my mom down to South Congress for the first time. It was a Saturday afternoon, and we were going to eat lunch when we spotted Leslie walking down the street in very small women's panties and nylons. I am pretty sure Mom was ready to pack me up and take me back home after seeing that. But I loved the fact that, as he walked by the people eating their lunch at the sidewalk cafe, everyone was saying, "Hey Leslie, what's up?" and greeting him. It was just another day in Austin. I guess it's just one of the reasons that "Keep Austin Weird" is one of our mottos.

I am saying a prayer for him tonight.

2 comments:

MaryBeth said...

Aww.. poor Leslie. This story is sad! Maybe he will recover fully but still be able to live in an assisted living facility and never worry where food or shelter will be for the night.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about Leslie. How is he doing now? You are so right, when I first saw him, I was ready to pack you up. But it was good to see the people around Austin being so kind to him. It showed me this city had heart. I wish him well. Love ya, mom