Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Kansas City, here I am!!!


I was in Kansas City this past weekend for a quick visit with my dear friends from CMH. I was fortunate to see a lot of the old co-workers, so things worked out pretty well. They happened to plan a work function for the Friday night I was in town(not for me, but a nice coincidence ;). It was supposed to be a group enjoying the art galleries in the Crossroads district for First Fridays. True to form, my old co-workers and I just stayed at the bar having some drinks. Its nice that some things don't change. We then went down to the Power and Light District, which has definitely grown since I left last year. It is still a cool place to hang out, but I've always been a bigger fan of the "joints" and "taverns." Still, it doesn't really matter where you hang out as long as you have a good crew to be with.

On Saturday, we went to the Red Dirt BBQ at the Beaumont Club in Westport, my old stomping grounds. I used to live in Westport at the City Place Apartments, and I absolutely loved it there. It was so nice to be so close to everything.....shopping, downtown, Plaza, bars, etc. I have a pretty good location here in Austin, but where I was before was right in the thick of things(aka I could walk home from the bars ;). I miss Kansas City a lot. Anyway......the concert was a lot of fun with a great lineup. Stoney Larue, Randy Rogers Band, and Cross Canadian Ragweed. You can't beat a lineup like that! Despite the cold(65 degrees), I wore a sundress and my cowgirl boots. The place was packed, and it was difficult to get a beer, but hopefully they'll iron out the kinks for next year. Rumor is they are going to make it a yearly event in KC now. Just my luck to have them start an annual red dirt concert one year after I moved to Texas to be closer to the music. Oh well. Austin is still better in that respect....


It was a great weekend. It is hard to believe it has now been a year since I left. Its tough to see how much things have changed, people have changed, etc. But its really nice to go back and have some things always the same like the friendships with those people who didn't let me go just because I moved to a different city. Its really nice to know I'll always have a home there if I ever decide to go back.

No comments: