Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Home is where your heart is...

This is probably the only situation with me living in Texas when I've said to myself, "What am I doing living down here? I should be up there with my family." My grandpa went into the hospital Tuesday as he had been sick since Friday and only getting weaker. As with older people, any sickness can hit them rather hard and quickly. He ended up spiking a fever last night and feeling a lot worse, so it makes it even harder for me to not be there. My mom told me this afternoon that he is getting back to himself, feeling better and joking around. Its just a lot easier to feel better when I can actually see it. Its not like I could really do much if I was there, besides ride his nurse and make sure she is doing things appropriately and in a timely manner. (Even though I hate it when people do that to me ;)

The first time I remember my grandpa getting sick, I was in the third grade. He had his first heart attack. It was very scary, and I missed some school so I could be there with my family. I've been fortunate to be very close with my grandparents as I've always lived fairly close by. I also got the one-on-one time with Grandpa from our many years of Husker game days that we attended together. Grandma and I started our one-on-one time when I was only days old, and my mother was hospitalized after my birth. She always likes to tell me how she would dress me up so cute while she was taking care of me. Yet, my dad would take me to the hospital to see my mom, then he'd bring me home in a diaper. My grandparents, despite having twelve grandchildren, do an amazing job of having unique and special relationships with each one of us. All of us have the best memories of spending time at our grandparents' home in Lincoln.

So I just hate that I can't be there. My dad is also having a procedure to have a pacemaker and defibrillator placed for his heart arrhythmias this coming Monday. Again, its just strange and sad for me to not be able to be there. Freaking plane tickets costing so damn much doesn't help. I'm sure everything will be okay, but like I said, I just feel better when I'm there. But I know that everyone else will still be there. That is one thing you can count on with my family. There is always more than enough people to support you. So although I'm in Texas right now, my heart and thoughts are with my family. Hope everyone can get to feeling well soon!

1 comment:

"The Barbers" said...

Sorry to hear your grandpa is so sick & I hope he is starting to feel better. I can imagine it is so hard to be so far away. I hope your dad's procedure goes well too. Miss you Katie!!