Wednesday, April 1, 2009

One year ago...

The weather is so awesome today in Austin. 84 degrees and sunny, yet with a lovely breeze. Scarlet and I have been on many a walk today, so I've had lots of time to daydream and think. I was thinking today about how its been exactly a year since I came down to Austin for my interview and subsequent job hire. A year already! At the time, it was a secret because I didn't want my job to know until I was absolutely sure I was leaving. Of course, I had to wait for the girl I was moving here with to get her job as well, so we didn't get down here until June. But it was my offer for a job and relocation bonus that really set the ball rolling.

I brought Mom and Dad with me on that short little trip because I wanted them to see Austin. They were obviously not sold on the idea because their little girl would be moving so far away. The traffic didn't impress them much either. I even wondered if God was against this, as I got the most horrible food poisoning the night before our flight. I have not had a pina colada smoothie since. Ouch......Anyway, it all worked out.

Its been a hell of a ride down here in Austin so far, but its been great. I've learned a lot more about relying on myself, and I've become so much more appreciative for all of the people I have in my life who care about me. I think the move has also helped me come out of my shell even more. Coming down to a city where I know no one, I have really had to make an effort to meet people. So far, I've been really lucky to find people through my job and other social fronts. I've made a little "family" of friends down here, and that has helped a lot.

I can honestly say that I'm really happy I moved here. Not to say that I'm not incredibly homesick at the same time. I miss my friends in Kansas City, Nebraska, and everywhere else they are scattered. I miss my family all the time. I just try to remind myself that I wasn't sure I'd ever feel like Kansas City was home, or that I'd ever make really good friends there. But I ended up loving it there and finding lifelong friends as well. I am not sure if I'll stay here forever, but I'm definitely not ready to leave yet, as there is still much more to explore and uncover. I do love the midwest, and I proudly tell everyone where I'm from(whether they ask or not....Go Huskers!! :) Until I figure it out, I guess I'll just enjoy myself whereever I may be......and right now, that place is Austin. And the weather is perfect here!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Time does go by fast, doesn't it. Though I miss you terribly and wish we could spend more time together, I am glad you are happy and not afraid to try new things.

My biggest wish is that at the end of it, you will find you place back home as home is not the same without you. Much love, Mom