When I was in the second grade, we had a poetry contest. Each student had to memorize and recite a poem chosen from anywhere they wanted. Some poems came from books by Jack Prelutsky, Shel Silverstein, or even my favorite poem book as a little girl, "Sing a Song of Popcorn." I think it was the teachers who were the judges, and we were judged based on ability to memorize and our performance of it. The naturally outgoing kids obviously excelled in a situation like this, however I was incredibly nervous. At this age, I was very quiet and shy unless I was around my friends. Speaking in front of a large group of people was not just an unpleasant situation, but one that evoked great fear in a little girl like me. Yet it was required, so I memorized and recited a poem just as the rest of my grade did.
What was the poem, you ask? I don't remember where we found it, but it was fairly easy to memorize. It was called "M.D., My Daddy." I was very nervous, so I didn't do much in the way of performance. I just looked at my dad in the audience as I recited it. I didn't win, of course. But I did get through it, and I think that was a triumph in itself for the shy little girl that was me.
I just was thinking about this today when I was at the poetry slam, and someone asked me if I would ever read there. I don't know if I ever will, but I definitely love going to listen to the talented people who perform there weekly. If they allowed us to read a poem that wasn't originally by us, then maybe I'd go up there and recite the first poem I ever performed in front of a crowd. After all, I still do have it memorized.
Here is the poem:
Whenever Daddy signs his name,
He always writes M.D.,
So everyone will know
That he belongs to me.
For M.D. means "My daddy,"
Or something just the same.
And that is why he always
Puts these letters on his name
Some letters on his name are small.
But these are not, you see.
He always makes them big like that
Because he's so proud of me.
2 comments:
Ahhh, that almost made me cry! I had forgotten about that poem. Gma even cross-stitched that and we had it hung up some where. Your dad is now accusing me of throwing it away (which of course I didn't). I'm sure he's just misplaced it as he does with everything else. Love ya, mom
This too made me tear up. Maybe pregnancy hormones.. maybe because you are so adorable with your dad.. we'll never know.
Post a Comment