So tonight, as far as work goes, has not been a favorite. Not an awful night, just not great. First of all, I'm taking care of three babies under the age of 1. Yes, babies are cute. But they can be a lot of work. I had a 9 month old(great age for separation anxiety) whose parents left the floor without telling me. I was in the room for my assessment, and mom was holding them. About a half hour later, this baby is screaming bloody murder. Worst of all, I go in there and pick him up, and the little meatloaf still cries. And its not a cute cry either. This goes on for TWO HOURS while the parents are gone.....even better, the kid is breastfed, so I can't really feed it to quiet it down. (I'm not that kind of nurse). Side note: Kid has teeth....ouch, breastfeeding mom. Ouch. Mary Beth, this was mother's club from hell!
Then I get an admission, an 11 month old who the ER tells me is "very strong." Apparently they weren't able to obtain an IV after 4 attempts resulted in blown veins. My confidence in my IV sticks has increased since KC, however I still hate sticking babies. Too much fat and too little veins. So I tell the resident this before she puts in orders, to sort of put a bug in her ear...."maybe we should only order an IV if she REALLY needs it". So 2 hours after the kid arrives on the floor, they put the order in for IV fluids because she will be NPO at 0600 to get a possible procedure done. (this possible procedure most likely being done early morning). Granted, it is a baby, so more susceptible to dehydration, but come on.........the kid has been stuck four times already. So I question it, and they say that they do want the IV. So we try up here on the floor FOUR more times(charge nurse and nursing supervisor both try). Then I tell the resident, and they're like "okay, we don't really need it. She'll only be NPO for a couple hours at most anyway..." (Did I say this???)
I probably sound like a heartless person. I really love my job, but tonight has run me ragged. I miss the calm Mother's club of 6H, or watching DayDay spit bloody sputum. Those are the good days. ;) Side note: I have the shakes bad tonight.....not sure if it is the chai latte I had tonight(not supposed to drink caffeine) or the sounds of babies crying getting to me????
No comments:
Post a Comment