Monday, October 13, 2008

What being a nurse is all about

So I was sitting here tonight feeling a little bit sorry for myself after just getting home from my great weekend in KC, missing everyone there and thinking about other silly things that come and go in my head lately, when I get an IM from one of my old patients in KC. Not only do I miss the nurses that I worked with in KC, but I miss some of the patients also. My previous floor got all of the cystic fibrosis patients, who were frequently in and out of our floor with tune-ups, so we nurses got the chance to get to know them. Anyway, it still touches my heart that they remember me.

There are two patients that I was able to get to know pretty well because of my love for college football. We would have many late night debates about all of it....as we all know, college football has a lot of ins and outs, all very important and valid! One of the kiddos was even a Husker fan(smart kid!). Just really warmed my heart tonight to hear from him, and that he told me I should come back to 6 Henson. One of the good parts about being a nurse, I guess :) Sometimes we can touch a patient's life as much as they touch ours. Pretty cool.

No comments: