Friday, October 17, 2008

The Bee Gees can save your life!


In an interesting merger between two very important things in my life, medicine and music, I found an article on CNN.com stating that the rhythm of the Bee Gee's "Stayin' Alive," is the perfect beat for doing chest compressions to during CPR. According to the American Heart Association(as we nurses know), chest compressions need to be at 100 per minute in order to jump-start a heart. Apparently, a study was done at the University of Illinois testing if this song was helpful to perform the ideal rhythm needed for a person's survival during cardiac arrest. And kids, it sure was! Those people who used it to aid them in their performance of compressions did them at 109-113 a minute.....pretty close!!

Funny enough, the AHA even said that they've recommended using this tactic to their CPR instructors for almost two years. I wonder if my dad knows this....he is a BLS and PALS instructor! Being certified in both Pediatric Advanced Life Support and Basic Life Support myself(what what!), I can say with the utmost certainty that knowing this will definitely help me in my future re-certifications. I guess I can only thank my mother for introducing me to the movie "Saturday Night Fever" at an early age, as well as the sweet sounds of the Brothers Gibb. My career will forever be in debt.....:)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/10/16/disco.song.health.ap/index.html

2 comments:

MaryBeth said...

Thank you for that usefull tip! Hopefully I won't have to use it anytime soon! :) You WOULD be the one to notice that a song that mostly 40yo people listen to would be helpful in an emergency situation.

Becca said...

I love it!