Wednesday, October 15, 2008

As political as I will get



Tonight, I went to the Alamo Drafthouse near where I live to watch the third and final presidential debate. Austin, as a whole, is known as a pretty liberal city....or as I saw on a t-shirt on South Congress, "A big blue oasis in the middle of a red state." I'd say the majority of the audience was, in fact, Democrat. (There was a lot of cheering when they introduced Obama :). As far as politics go, I'm incredibly interested, and I want to know more and more about it. I'm not much for debating with people, but I definitely enjoy hearing other's opinions. I think this is such an exciting time right now with revolutionary times on the horizon. No matter who wins, things are going to change.....hopefully in a big way and hopefully for the better.




I will say that my vote is for the Obama/Biden ticket. I believe in what they say, and I like what they stand for. And I believe that our country needs to go down an entirely different road in order to get back to where we need to be. This debate was a lot of fun to watch, especially in the location I was at. I liked that they were able to get to some of the dirty questions. People laughed and booed at McCain's faces of reaction, and what was with his snorting all the time. Get that dude a kleenex....I know they said all over the news that he needed a "game changer," but honestly, this debate made me like him even less than before. Most of the articles are describing McCain as "being on the offensive" throughout the debate, but I thought Obama handled it well, very articulately




Honestly, it reminded me of a part from one of my favorite movies, "The American President," in which a young and charasmatic Democrat(Michael Douglas) goes head-to-head in an election with a rickety old-school GOP member. Sound familiar?? Although in real life, the Republican is not old-school, but a maverick......or so I hear. :) Anyway, in the final speech where Michael Douglas's character enters to quiet the controversy and bring together the nation(don't you love the cinema??), he says of his nemesis "He's here to make you afraid of it and tell you who is to blame for it." I don't know why, but I kept thinking of this line throughout the debate. At some points, it just felt like that is what McCain sometimes tries to do, like bringing up Ayres or John Lewis or even just by telling us what he thinks is wrong with Obama. I loved what Obama told McCain about how the American people don't care about the candidate's hurt feelings as far as negative campaigns and all of that. Honestly, I want to hear about what each candidate is going to offer me.....not their opinion about what the other one won't. Tell me about what you're going to do to fix these problems that we have now, because I'm scared enough as it is. I guess that's why I like Obama....he keeps a cool head. :)




Anyway, I'm not much of a debater, so I'm not really going to get into the issues. I work in the health care system, so I see a lot of the problems that occur from lack of insurance, or lack of support for parents. My family had foster children, so I've seen the flaws with our adoption/foster care system. I do know that not all kids are lucky enough to be adopted by a family as fortunate as the McCains, nor is the system helpful when they actually have the chance. Hopefully, a little change in Washington can make for big changes in the future though! I just hope everyone gets out there to vote! Its history in the making! Less than 3 weeks!




No comments: