Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Katie does kayaking



As some of you may know, Austin is known as a very outdoorsy and active city with all sorts of things going on.....many lakes, dog parks, green belts, etc. I've just been looking for ways to blend with my city and make it my own, as well as trying to do things a little out of my comfort zone. After all, I moved twelve hours away from my parents, why not push the envelope a little more? :) So I signed up for kayaking lessons down on Town Lake, the body of water near downtown built from the Colorado River. For my price, I get three private lessons and two times by myself. I thought it was a pretty swell deal.




I was a little nervous to start, but mostly excited. I really didn't know what to expect since I've never done much with lake sports. I usually just work on my tan ;). Anyway, I think I did pretty well today. My instructor, Shawn, even said I did well. I didn't fall in the water when I was getting in and out of the kayak, and the rowing came pretty well to me. Obviously, I have to work on the form a little bit, but that will come with practice.
We went from the rowing dock all the way to the dam near Lake Austin(approximately 2.2 miles there and back), and it was just awesome. Very serene and relaxing. At one point, I just stopped to take it all in....the fact that I was out in the middle of the water with it so quiet and the water so calm. Felt really good. :) It would sprinkle intermittently through our lesson, so that could have been why it was so quiet on the lake. Even my instructor remarked as to how quiet it was. But the view was beautiful kayaking on the lake. We saw so many turtles, and he showed me this really cool dog park that was an island in the lake. Everything was so green. Scarlet and I may need to check that out someday! Pretty awesome experience overall. I think I'm hooked!

No comments: