Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Next stop: Baby town.
I know Mary Beth is already salivating(or lactating...she wishes!) at the title. So its my first time on the night shift here at Dell Children's, and my preceptor and I were floated to the NICU. A little bit scary considering neither of us have ever been trained in NICU, which is a totally different beast than the acute care home I have made for the past 2 years. Fortunately, they gave us the easy feeders and growers. Who isn't up for babysitting 2 little peanuts, feeding bottles and changing diapers for a night(and getting paid!) I think I even felt my biological clock tick when I was feeding one of the little ones(or else I heard Mary Beth's all the way from KC! :) I could see myself having one someday. Just made me think of our mother's club we used to have on 6 Henson. Mary Beth and I were both taking care of little babies, and we had them out at the nurses' station late in the night because moms needed a little break. We'd say inappropriate things, and they would still smile because they are babies and didn't know any better. I, of course, had the incredibly fussy one(who had a bilateral cleft palate), but loved being cuddled. I liked him because he had personality. I don't think I could do NICU forever, but it was a nice change. I think babies are cute, but they get a little boring after a while. I like them when they start talking, as my nieces are right now. Give me a 30 minute conversation with a toddler/pre-schooler anyday. They are more on my maturity level. (only kidding. I'm very mature)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your right, I was salivating. I can't help it! I am a little jelouse that you got to go hold babies. I was just looking at the picture of your baby from mommies club! Oh how I miss those times. But don't worry, I can see in the next 5 years that we will have that club in real life.. I CAN'T WAIT!!
Post a Comment