Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Glory Days






There have been several things lately that have gotten me thinking about my old college days at Nebraska. Last night, they played the series finale of Friends, which ended the last month of my time at UNL and Delta Gamma. My best friends and I sat on the couch together in the basement at DG watching the last one after dinner. Even though dinner started at 5:30pm, we would be the last to leave the dining room because of our oh-so-hilarious conversation and giggling. I'm not sure how I ever got anything done at that place! We'd also watch the Apprentice, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, and Sex and the City(of course!). But most of the time, we'd sit in each other's rooms talking about our crushes or laughing about weird stuff.

Yesterday, I drove downtown to UT's campus to wander around, and I drove by their DG. I just missed being there, being so close to all of my best friends and everyone I loved. I saw the students walking down the street with each other, and I remembered how groups of us would always walk together to campus --especially for my philosophy class. I think there were maybe 10 DG's in that class(and a lot of football players...it was a very easy grade). I also drove by UT's drag, which is on Guadelupe Street, which has a bunch of shops and restaurants. I remembered walking through those shops my senior year of college when my friends and I roadtripped to Austin for the Nebraska-UT game. This weekend, I also went to Maggie Mae's, which is a bar with a rooftop deck. We went there on our first night in Austin back in 2003 for our roadtrip here. It was full of Nebraskans, and soooo much fun that night! I remember my friend, Katie, and I discussing good music with some random people(5 years later---i still do this).
Maybe all of these times at DG are special because of what I have now. Its been 4 years since we left there, but our friendships have only gotten better despite our distance. We still make the effort to see each other as much as we can. I talk on the phone, text, or email them weekly. And lately when I've been feeling my loneliest, it has helped so much just getting that random text with our inside joke. No matter how far away we get, we'll always have this one thing that brings us back. Like one of my favorite Sex and the City quotes says, "Maybe we can be each other's soul mates, and men can just be these great, nice guys that come along to have fun with...." Its a nice thought for right now.


I just was thinking and reminiscing about my good days in college. I can't wait to go back to Lincoln this month. And good news there too.....my mom and dad are looking for homes in Papillion, the place I grew up. Even better, they found the exact floorplan of the home we lived in for 8 years before we moved, just in a different neighborhood. It will be so great to actually GO HOME when I go home. (but I still will miss KC!)








2 comments:

Yo Mama said...

HI Katie,
Made me feel nostalgic too as I remembered you were much closer to me in Lincoln than you are now in Austin. Good and bittersweet, but memories are always good.

Don't get your hopes up too high about our getting a house like our old one. I would love it too, but it's a longshot as don't think these people are wanting to come down much. I'm hoping too, and trying hard not to get my heart set on it, but am almost confident that we won't get it. At any rate, there will be somekind of house in Papillion, so atleast you'll be back in your old town.

Love ya lots and miss you a bunch.
Yo Mama

MaryBeth said...

Katie, you again made me tear up! I wish you weren't lonely! I wish we were working together tonight so I can just talk with you and laugh about inside jokes!!! I love ya girl and miss ya more than you know!!