Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Summer in Nursing

This is my first summer as an orthopaedic nurse. My co-workers have been preparing me since I began there by telling me how much busier it gets compared to winter. I'm busy most of the time anyway, which is how I like it. But there is a marked difference in the summer months, I will admit. The only time it really gets you is if your doctor is on call. When the doctor is on call, they are responsible for guiding the treatment for every child that comes into our hospital's ER or urgent care. If the call is just for one night, then it is manageable. However, as I'm seeing now, the weekends on call in the summer are pure disasters. I just can't believe all of the ways that children can get hurt......firecrackers, lawnmowers, monkey bars, dirt bikes, and trampolines should be out of the question for kids!!! When I have children, they will walk around wearing bubble wrap and never be out of my sight!

There are so many things that I love about my job, but some of the things I see just make me sick to my stomach. There are some really silly parents out there, but there are also good parents that have bad things happen. Even after 4 years in nursing, it is still this tough to see bad things happen to families. Because of my job and privacy, I can't really go into detail, but yikes. Another way to look at it is that our doctors can do some pretty cool things to fix the problems, and most of the time, they can get the child back to normal. Just have to hope that happens more than anything bad might.

No comments: