Saturday, July 31, 2010

Journey

I haven't blogged much about myself lately, but I'm getting back into it. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about where I am right now and where I was not so long ago. After all, I was in Austin a year ago at this time. I worked night shift. I missed my family, friends, and the Midwest a lot. It is funny how you just don't feel like yourself when you're not comfortable. I loved Austin, but I never totally felt like myself there. Perhaps in the back of my mind, I not only wanted to move back to Kansas City to be closer to my family, but to be closer to myself again. Sounds kind of silly, but it is true.

I worried a lot once I even moved back to Kansas City if I would get comfortable here again. After all, I started a new job in a new specialty. The group of friends I had once been a part of in KC had changed, and I know I had changed as well. But I had some constant things that had been there before KC and Austin that was also getting to be around more, like my best friend Natalie, my parents, my DG sisters......the people I am most comfortable around and that I love dearly, the people that I feel I am the best version of myself when they are around.

Now I'm fully settled in Kansas City. Scarlet and I have our own apartment downtown. I'm starting school this fall. I have a job that I love going to everyday. I have my family and friends nearby. I'm pretty happy. After the wedding I was at last weekend, it just sort of clicked in my head that I felt like myself. I was back to dancing like no one is watching again, and it just happened that it was a Journey song playing. It could be just a coincidence that I've been listening to a lot of Journey lately. Glee's season finale was an ode to Journey hits. I picked several Journey songs for my DJ playlist for the wedding last weekend. My friend, Joanell, bought the Journey greatest hits CD last Sunday, and we listened to it as we rode through Lincoln reminiscing about old times. Just yesterday, my great cousin had an awesome Facebook status thread dedicated to the use of old Journey songs. It has been a common melody in my head lately. I guess that's why they say "Don't stop believing".......everything always ends up all right!

No comments: