Thursday, September 3, 2009

Update Schmupdate

Work has just been crazy lately(despite what you see pictured to the right). The kids are finally starting to pour in to the hospitals, and we are filling up. Unfortunately, my unit has also had some nurses go on maternity leave, quit, and go part time. This means that we're often understaffed while the acuity of our patients has been relatively high compared to recent months. In other words, I'm working my tail off. The past couple weeks have had me running. It has been pretty fun though, as I have had lots of patients with multiple issues. It has really given me a chance to test my nursing capabilities, and I've been able to handle it pretty well. I've just been trying to take it in stride and have confidence in what I know, but it can be a little overwhelming at times. One of the nights I came to work this week, I was assigned 3 patients, all of which had "BUSY" written next to them. (The only 3 with "BUSY" written next to them......). I had to laugh because what else could I really do.......It turned out to be an okay night, just not much time for breaks or messing around.

Despite being incredibly tired when I get home, I have actually had more job satisfaction lately than I have in a while. I received my yearly evaluation from my nurse manager this week, and it was actually pretty great. All of the peer comments were very positive, and it felt great to have that reinforcement. I try to work hard for my patients, and I do love my job( most of the time ;), so it is nice to know that it is noticed.

In other news, I have started a stretch of seven days off. Its going to be a busy Labor Day weekend. Tomorrow, I'm going to see Cross Canadian Ragweed with my friend, Robin. On Saturday, my friend Jessica is driving up from Houston to visit. We're going to the Husker watch party with Nebraska alumnae at a bar near my house. On Sunday, she and I are driving to Lake Bryan, Texas(about an hour and a half away) for Ziegfest. Its an all day music festival with my red dirt country......Brandon Rhyder, Wade Bowen, Bob Schneider, Clint Black, Roger Creager, and Eli Young Band. I get tingles just thinking about this lineup. Anyway, stay tuned. I should have some fun pics to post when it is all said and done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could go.....can't wait to see the pictures. Sounds like a fun weekend. Love ya, MOM