Thursday, September 3, 2009

The cause endures...


The death of Senator Kennedy has been covered heavily in the news over the past week. I, like many others, have been watching all of the tributes and commentary on television in remembrance of this influential figure in American politics. Since my elementary school days in the gifted program, I have been taken with the Kennedy family and their history. When given the opportunity to write a report on any subject in the world for my Challenge class as a fourth grader, I chose John F. Kennedy. It was during this time that I had aspirations to become president myself, as I made Mom and Dad buy me book after book about the U.S. Presidents and history. I also had my first trip to Washington, D.C. at the age of 12 with my parents, and I was able to see where all of the things I had read about had actually taken place. I remember reading the encyclopedias at home and looking up the presidents and their wives.

It is just so sad for our country to have lost a champion for so many worthwhile causes. I can only hope that another senator will emerge(maybe his son?) as a leader for the Democratic party and support Americans the way that Senator Kennedy did. I watched his funeral on Saturday, and I have also tuned into several specials on his life. I have also been on the internet reading some negative comments and facebook reading statuses (as it seems that is some people's platform for their political beliefs, which is their right, I suppose) bringing up some of the questionable parts of his life. I think that is unfortunate that, at the end of a person's life--especially a life that has been dedicated to public service and positive change that has possibly benefitted those commenting-- people still choose to focus on something like that.

With the recent public discussions on the reforming health care issues that Senator Kennedy worked his career to support, I can only hope that his cause continues. As it was mentioned numerous times by him throughout his career, compromise is an important tool. I believe that there can be common ground to find the best way to have all Americans insured as it should be their right as citizens. I hope that people can put aside the pushing of their own agendas to make this a reality as it should be and could also be a fitting tribute for a senator who made it the cause of his life.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree whole 100%. We'll just have to make sure we get our views out there as well. You have a good head on your shoulders. Love you, Mom