I haven't worked 4 nights in a row in quite a while, and I forgot how much it makes you feel like a prisoner! Work has been fine, although I have had some busy kids(and an annoying med student who thought they could order me around). I am trying to hold onto my patience(and patients...haha, bad joke) for another 5 hours until my shift is over. I do love being a nurse, but it can be wearing on the soul with the isolation from daily life.
Although I have been busy with work, I have been using my downtime for catching up on current events and researching graduate schools. There's just so much to do to get ready for it, but I would like to go back to school soon. This leads to the question of what I really want to be doing......do I want to be a nurse practitioner or something else? My interest in the health care reform debate has left me wondering what other avenues I can use my nursing background for as far as public policy and public health. I'm mainly looking at the University of Texas(since I'm already here), University of Kansas, and University of Missouri-Kansas City(since I do want to go back to midwest eventually). KU and UT have master's of nursing specializing in organizational leadership, which sounds interesting to me. Right now, I'm just trying to research as much as possible to see what interests me more. As most people probably do, I want something that I'm passionate about. It is just hard to figure out what area of nursing is going to keep me passionate for the rest of my life! (Please remember I had 4 majors- premed/journalism/marketing/psychology--before I realized nursing was where I belonged)
And then once I make this decision, I get to figure out how I get to pay for school. Can't wait.
1 comment:
My dear sweet Katie Mo... KU is the single best place you could ever go. I mean... its the Jayhawks! And- bonus- my daughter will wear a lot of clothes to support the school you are going to if you go to KU. Im just saying... to me there really isn't a decision to be made, just plans on when you are going to start at KU. ;) Also- GO YOU! Good for you for wanting to go back to school! You are so smart... my hero.
Post a Comment