Friday, July 18, 2008

The sun is shining somewhere in Texas...

Make that everywhere in Texas! I was at the gym this morning watching the news, and the forecast has my new hometown, Austin, with 7 straight days of 100 degrees or greater. Unbelievable! I'm definitely learning to stay out of the hot part of the day unless absolutely necessary. I was at the pool for an hour and a half last Saturday, and I came home not feeling too well actually....a little bit dizzy and bad bad headache. After a little bit of rest in the cool apartment, I felt better. But it definitely reiterated the fact that you can't underestimate this Texas heat! Definitely learning to push fluids as well. My one liter Children's Mercy mugs are definitely useful, and my new favorite thing is Crystal Light powder packets. This week's flavor is white tea with raspberry. I've never been too much of a water drinker, but these little packets make the agua a little better for my palate! (Note the Spanish word for water in the previous sentence.....its a bilingual as I can get these days, but the high school Spanish has been helpful down here. Lots of Spanish speaking patients at my new hospital!)


But I digress. I'm just taking a little break from my errands and so forth. As I mentioned earlier, Natalie comes tonight! I always call her Blanche(she calls me Rose) because I would tease her for going to bed early all the time, right after she watched Golden Girls and Murder, she wrote. (which she never really watched :) Even when Natalie moved away from KC to Minneapolis, she'd always call me when she drove by St.Olaf. (For those who don't know Golden Girls, Rose was from St.Olaf and would tell many ridiculous stories about what happened when she lived there) Its just one of our inside jokes that has never gotten old. After all, I was a night owl in college(too much stimulation in a sorority house) and then a night shift girl, so I never went to bed early. Now that I work day shift and enjoy a full day of sunshine, I find myself going to bed early too. Guess that's what being 26 years old will do to you! Anywho, I'd better cut this one short. Blanche will be here before I know it, and I've got lots to do!

No comments: