As I mentioned in previous posts, my dear friend Natalie came to visit me this weekend from the frigid city of Minneapolis. I realize it gets to be summer up there, but I'm pretty sure they are not used to the heat we have down here. First example: We are leaving our apartment to head out downtown, and Natalie asked if she should bring her coat. Jen and I just laughed. Bless her heart!It was a busy weekend for us. Natalie arrived on Friday night, and we got home just in time to make the party bus(which our apartment community furnishes for residents most Friday nights) to take us downtown to Sixth Street. For those who don't know, Sixth Street is about 4-5 blocks of bars, clubs, etc. Streets are often blocked off to let people run back and forth across the street to their bar of choice. We had a lot of fun, going to the Dizzy Rooster(which I hear was a big deal when Real World was in Austin...I didn't watch it. Its also the bar that is owned by one of ABC's Bachelors...also didn't see that one). We also hit up a couple other places, then got back on the bus to head home. Nice to have a designated driver!
On Saturday, we went out to the pool for a few hours, did a little bit of shopping, then went to see Mamma Mia at the Alamo Drafthouse theater. Its a different theater than most are probably used to. They serve dinner AND alcohol at this place. You have a waiter who takes care of you throughout the film. I have also discovered that this place has sing-a-longs, more importantly a MICHAEL JACKSON sing-a-long. Most of you who know me know that I love me some MJ. At these sing-a-longs, they teach the Thriller dance(already know it). This is all for a larger goal, which is to be a part of "Thrill the World, " the annual worldwide simultaneous dance to Thriller, which takes place on October 25th. As you all know, this is a lifetime goal I never knew I had until I found this opportunity. Hopefully I can make it!

Sunday was also a fun day. We hit up South Congress, so Natalie could see the shops. They have a pretty amazing candy shop, and when I say amazing, I mean they had a Candy Cigarette machine. (Please excuse the previous run-on sentence :).We got some iced chai from Jo's Coffee, which was awesome as well. It was mostly outdoors, and yes, there was live music! (Austin is the live music capital of the world, for those who don't know). I also took her to eat at Chuy's for some excellent Mexican food, and a great chance to see some old Elvis memorabilia. This restaurant is very interesting, colorful, and original to Texas. DELICIOUS! Afterwards, we headed over to Zilker Park, a huge greenspace right on the banks of Town Lake, for the Beauty and the Beast musical at their outdoor theater. Apparently, this tradition has taken place for 50 years, and it was really a neat show. Even better, it was FREE! I'm a sucker for anything Disney, so I loved it. (I want to be a princess :)


All in all, I think Natalie got a great taste of what Austin has to offer. I had us booked solid all weekend, and there are still so many places I could have taken her. We had a lot of fun, and I'm so thankful that she was able to make it. She's such a great friend!
1 comment:
I kind of want to buy that candy machine. Candy cigerettes for everyone!! :)
Post a Comment