Monday, July 7, 2008

Discovering Austin.




Mom came to visit me this weekend, which I was so thankful for. As happy as I am to be here, I've definitely been lonely and a little sad. Its rough being in a new city and not knowing anyone. Its better to explore a new city with someone else, so I took advantage of her being her to see some of the things I'd been researching. On Saturday morning, we went to the Sunset Valley Farmers' Market in South Austin. It was so cute, lots of baked goods, vegetables, fruits, jellies, meats, etc.....and of course, some live music. It was fun to shop to some good Johnny Cash tunes. Mom and I bought some cinnamon rolls and wheat bread, both of which were DEE-licious!!! I've heard that the meats are amazing from this place, but I wasn't in the market for any on this day. All in all, it was a lot of fun, and I'll definitely be back.

While we were down south, I wanted to hit up South Congress, a very well known street in Austin, which seems to capture the Austin vibe at its best. Its very laid back, quirky, hip, etc. There are only local businesses around these parts.....very fun shops, including a store for boots. (I will be back!) Mom and I walked around there, and I found several things I absolutely needed. However, my lack of a new paycheck for an entire month impeded my spending at this time, but I will definitely be back. We did stop for lunch at Home Slice Pizza, which is not only an awesome name, but awesome food! WOW! It could be better than my beloved Valentinos(but don't tell my grandparents!) Huge slices of pizza, folks! I will most likely take all of my visitors there. We also saw a very interesting fellow, to say the least. From my research of Austin, I think this guy is a staple to the SoCo district, so I'm glad Mom and I were able to see him. I did not get a picture, but I'll try to describe him. However, you really have to see it to believe it! He was an older guy, a little bit skinny, wearing a tshirt and then women's underwear and some nylons. Needless to say, the underwear was not made for a man to wear, so we definitely saw a little bit more of him than we would have liked. But he just walked around talking to the folks dining on the sidewalks, and they spoke back to him with no problem. This is one reason I love Austin. Its weird! :) So after lunch, Mom and I went out to a movie(Sex and the City.....my 4th viewing for those who are counting), and she loved it as much as I did. Really a good movie!!!








On Sunday, we sat out at the pool, then went to the Domain for a little bit of shopping. Again, not having a paycheck stopped me from having as much fun as I would have liked, but I'm still glad Mom got to see it. Its such a great place, and the shops are AMAZING, but a little out of my range for the most part. Louis Vuitton, Coach, Juicy Couture, Burberry, etc.....but they had some of my favorites too! Don't worry, Dad.....we didn't buy anything. :) Just some harmless window shopping. It was a really fun weekend. I'm glad she was able to come and cheer me up since I was missing home so much. And I welcome anyone else that wants to come visit me too!! Anyone??? :)

No comments: