Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Time off.....just for the H of it


It just so happens that I've got 5 lovely days off of work this week. Thank you, low hospital census, for causing me to be called off tonight. I'm actually pretty stoked about it even if I have to use some of my precious PTO to make the paycheck as fat as it normally should be. The weather in Austin is supposed to be B-E-A-utiful this week, and I get to enjoy it all at home. I'm doing my best to save my money, as my rent has increased since leaving the death lair(aka hell with a roommate). I'm happy to pay the difference because you just can't beat a night on your own couch watching movies and relaxing.

I'm loving Netflix....Just finished watching Annie Hall. It was okay. I'm not a fan of Woody Allen flicks, but I appreciated it for what it was. I am stealing her saying, "La dee da." (which I've said before, so not sure if its actually "stealing") During my freshman year of college, I took an English writing class with my brother, Brian. For those who don't know, Brian is 8 years older than me, and we have never even been in the same school before. It was so much fun except when he would tell my mom that I would skip class(which only happened once.....and for an 8am class, that is pretty good!!!!)

The subject just happened to be right up both of our alleys also. This English teacher decided to make the class themed in movies and television. Hello! One of my favorite subjects!!! We got to critique commercials and watch Citizen Kane.I got to do a paper on one of my favorite movies, When Harry met Sally... I also learned a lot about different kinds of filming and what the director is trying to accomplish when he has scenes shot a certain way. It was really interesting, and it is part of the reason I enjoy watching the older classic movies, such as Annie Hall and The Graduate. Both have very atypical approaches to film making, and its a nice break from the fluff I normally enjoy. (I admit it. I love the fluff! ;)

Anyway, I'm hoping to get a lot of other stuff done this week, as I'm not back until Saturday. Maybe get a little exploring of Austin in. Its been a long time since I've had this many days off without traveling or a visitor. I can't wait....and as always, there will be poetry on Wednesday. Lots of plans, so send me positive thoughts so I don't sleep the days away. Scarlet will surely enjoy the time with me(I hope!)

No comments: