Saturday, March 28, 2009

Not enough country!


I've realized lately that I haven't been listening to country music like I used to, or any of my music for that matter. I am a daydreamer, and listening to my IPOD while laying down is probably one of the most relaxing things I do. It gives me a chance to let my mind wander because, as I always say, music brings me more feeling than anything else in this world. Since the vernal equinox has now passed, its time for bright songs and relaxing vibes. With my wide variety of likes in the musical scene, I often neglect a genre or two. However, rediscovering my favorite songs is kind of like finding an old friend again. It brings back all of the memories and feelings that I had when I would listen to the song.

Country music brings me back to some of the greatest times. I became a country music fan when I was 16 years old after my oldest brother's wedding, and I haven't been able to get enough of it since. Ever since my beloved cousins and I sang "Friends in Low Places" and "Family Tradition" at his wedding, I have been hooked. In my sorority, our best party was the annual "Stampede" in which we dressed as cowboys and cowgirls. My friend, Jessica, and I would two step to "Amarillo by morning" by the great George Strait in several inappropriate areas, however it always seemed right. Of course, there is always my concert series that took place in the years 2007-2008 in which I saw 27 Texas Country concerts including visits to the legendary Billy Bob's Texas in Fort Worth and Gilley's in Dallas. Its been such a big part of my life thus far.

So now, as the spring is beginning again, I feel like its time to revisit my old favorites. Listening to these songs already brings me back to the feelings I felt, the good times I had with my friends and family, and the daydreams I would have laying out in the warm weather by the pool when I would listen to them. When I like a song, I LIKE a song. This means I will replay it over and over again. My oldest niece, Anna, and I would sing "I got a feelin" by Billy Currington the summer of 2005 when that song came out. As we all know, I sometimes believe I am a rock star when I'm in the car by myself (or anywhere else if I've had some drinks), so it truly warmed my heart to have my niece following in my footsteps in that way!!!!

I've decided to make more of an effort to get to the country concerts that I love. Its been a long hiatus, but I'm ready to get back in the swing. My first step back into the concert circuit is extremely fitting. I will be flying back to the KC the first weekend in May, and amazingly enough, they are having a huge all-day concert featuring my dear sweet Texas Country. Cross Canadian Ragweed, Randy Rogers Band, and Stoney Larue are the headliners. Even better, I get to go with the original concert series-goers, Jenn and Megan!! Can't wait to get my cowgirl boots back on. Its been a long time comin....

2 comments:

Grace said...

It's funny I did not listen to country music until college, and now I'm addicted to it! Country concerts are the best! Miss you Katie!

MaryBeth said...

Maybe now you can 10 step to a couple songs.. huh..huh. If you need a refresher, Im more than willing.