Sunday, February 8, 2009

Unbelievable....

Its been a hell of a past couple days. I'm still so steamed right now. I will try my best to leave my bad words out, but I'm so pissed off still that they may leap in every now and then. I've been trying to leave my roommate situation out of my blog as much as I could, but I have to vent here. So here goes....

I've been in a less than ideal situation for almost 8 months now. I should've known that it would be trouble when she began questioning me about the price of our cable bills when I volunteered to set up our utilities for the new apartment in Austin because SHE was so busy. (I was also preparing for a move 800 miles away...) Maybe it should have been the fact that she refused to sift through her things before moving ridiculous crap like plastic easter eggs and grass down to Austin and filling every nook and cranny in our apartment with shit so I have no place to put any of my things BUT in my bedroom. Perhaps I should have been tipped off when she YELLED at my mother the day we moved in because we placed empty moving boxes outside of our front door while unpacking. (Side note: who in their right mind would take each individual box down 3 freaking flights of stairs? get a clue)Or I could have figured it out when I was down in Austin for a month by myself with no job and without knowing a soul, that she only returned ONE phone call, and in this said phone call, she complained to me how difficult it was to be leaving her friends behind in KC. Something I had done already, and I was now alone in a city that I did not know. She never had to be alone here. It was hard.

Keep in mind, this was all before she even moved down here. As always, it takes me longer to see the shit people throw at me. Mom says I'm forgiving. While I like that quality in myself, it can get me into trouble. I've been so blessed to have so many good people in my life that I think I just like to believe that all people are that way.

So after 8 months of headaches, rude phone texts or notes(because she can never confront me about anything), false accusations of stealing her things(have never and would never steal anything....especially from her. I don't mean to be rude, but her stuff is cheap. I think we all know about my expensive taste), having her "boyfriend/friend/creepy guy" stay multiple nights a week and show up with a key when she is not even home, etc, I met with the manager of my apartment village. This was after I tried to sit down with the roommate and say "I think we both know this is not working" and tried to figure something out with her. All she wanted to do is point fingers and blame me for things now working. I'm sorry, but there are few people in the world that I do not get along with. She actually could be the only one. So I informed her I was going to look at other options, and she said "fine, go ahead." and I said OK!

So while I felt hopeless, I visited my apartment manager, who suggested to me that I could sign a move out notice by myself. Apparently, the law in the state of Texas is that only one signature is needed on a move out notice for it to be legal. I told the manager that my roommate would not be happy about it, as my roommate had told me that she just can't afford to move out. (I believe she could get a second job with all of the time she spends pestering me.) I took the copy of the move out notice, and I discussed it with my parents. I called the Austin Tenant's Association, who told me that if Riata was willing to let me out of the lease, then it was cool.

The following week, I met with the manager again to ask questions. The easiest way(and cheapest for me) would be to transfer to another apartment within Riata and pay a transfer fee, leaving my roommate to either find a way to pay all of the rent if she wanted to stay, to get another roommate, or to find another apartment anywhere in Austin without any costs coming to her. If I left Riata, I would have had to pay $3000 at least, so my choice was obviously to transfer. My roommate could leave free and clear. I was fine with this, as I just wanted to get the hell out of there. So I went to the big leasing office and signed a lease for a one bedroom(paying a deposit there) and handed in my move out notice. The manager told me that it would be no problem, and she just had to do a walk through of our apartment to make sure there was no damage. She ended up doing this walk through yesterday(Friday), and I informed her at this time that I had not told my roommate. I did not want to stir the beast until I had something final and confirmed from them. Right after she completed walking through, she told me I was approved. I was told to come by the office in the afternoon for the paperwork. That afternoon, I was given a transfer request that was APPROVED along with a letter saying they received my move out notice. The last thing the apartment manager said to me as I left was "Good luck telling your roommate(again indicating that she knew my roommate was not aware of this). I gave them a check for the transfer fee. That night, I left a note for my roommate explaining what was going on. I did not do it face to face, which maybe I should have. But I didn't feel it was really up for discussion, and she loves a confrontation, so I chose not to. She responded in an adult like fashion by locking me out of the apartment......

So I was woke up this afternoon(on a day I had to work all night....awesome) with a phone call from the assistant manager to our apartment complex. She was fairly rude to me, telling me that I cannot just turn in a move out notice without telling my roommate. I was told that they discussed it with corporate who said that this could not take place despite the fact that I was informed of this option by the manager of the apartments, whom I told several times about the situation without my roommate. I went down to discuss this further with the woman, as I wasn't quite ready for it ten seconds after I woke up.

In my meeting with this woman(which was held after she spoke to my roommate), I was informed of many blatant lies that my roommate had told her. I don't even want to get into all of it, suffice to say that girl lives in a crazy world. I think the assistant manager was able to see some of what I was telling her, as her views were pretty skewed in the beginning because, as usual, my roommate played her victim card that she loves so much. I repeated several times how frustrated I was with this situation and what they had done, but they told me that they could not make her move out. She had told them that she could not afford their one bedrooms to transfer, but would "try her hardest to find a new place." I really hope she does, but I doubt it.

So here I am right now, still so angry that I cannot even see straight. I am so thankful for all of my friends who have been so supportive through all of this. It would be so much worse if I didn't have them here to check on me and let me continously vent about what goes on. Because there is always something with her. I know Mom is chomping at the bit to come down here and give that girl a piece of her mind for messing with her baby girl, and I may actually let her. (probably not though. )

So I'm still looking at options because I fortunately have been working extra shifts a lot lately(and saving the excess), so it is possible for me to pay the remaining four months and get the hell out now. Honestly, I'm so soured by this debacle that Riata has placed me in that I really no longer care to rent from them. Its too bad for them too because I, unlike my roommate, can afford their apartments without someone's help, and I could have been a long term renter. My roommate, on the other hand, may not be able to do so. Maybe she will. I don't know.

I'm very frustrated that this option was even presented to me by the apartment manager. I fully disclosed to her that I could not discuss this with my roommate because of the way she acts when I try to discuss things with her. So I think I was misled and then hung out to dry. Not happy about it. I hate to waste my money to let that awful girl stay in our apartment, but I've really been pushed so far to where staying is no longer an option. Its a bad situation for me and my sweet little dog, and we need to get to a place where we can have more freedom. I hate living only in my bedroom.

To put a positive spin on it all, I'm really lucky to have all of the friends here in Austin who have been so awesome. They've offered to help me move, offered me a place in their homes, offered to beat up my roommate for me ;)...... I'm going to get out of here one way or another. It just is going to cost me a lot of money. Sucks. I'm not too big on roommates right now. If I get married, I'm not even sure I'll let my husband live with me at this point....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...she is psycho! I'm sorry you have to deal with crazies!