Friday, January 23, 2009

Sleep.....that's where I'm a viking.



I just looked back at some old posts, and I read the one from when I was working day shift over the summer. Oh my, how different life is when you are on night shift. Down here in Austin, we get the luxury of self scheduling. I usually do my best to work three shifts in a row, although my new interest in poetry slam puts a dent in that some weeks. I think its fine because I'm feeding my soul on those nights, so its worth it. Working three in a row allows me more of a normal life because it often gives me stretches of three or more days off. When this happens, I can(at least for a day or two) wake before noon. (Its not as easy as it sounds, folks). I do think it has been easier down here in Tex-ass due to the better weather. Less chance for that seasonal affect disorder. But I do love my sleep, and I NEED it.

My "transition" day, as I call it, is absolute hell. I seem to do the best by going to sleep immediately when I get home and getting up around 2pm. Still tired, but not too tired. Usually, I can get to sleep again around midnight, and the next day is splendid. A lot of times, I am so excited to be done with work that I don't get to sleep until 10am. (sometimes I believe myself to be a 5 year old....."I'm too excited to sleep") Its just so nice to be free, to watch TV and all of that. During my work time, I work and sleep. THAT'S IT. Sometimes I try to hit the gym, so at least its not a total loss. But that is even difficult sometimes. I guess its what keeps the life exciting. You just never know what time you'll fall asleep or how long you'll sleep. If I'm asleep by 4am, I'm pretty satisfied. Scarlet, on the other hand, is not. I hear a lot of puppy sounds, which I translate into "why the F aren't the lights off yet?" It is cute when she gets pissed.

Overall, its not a bad gig. We get the pay increase, and I'm working with a pretty great crew. We lack a lot of the resources that day shift has, so we can sometimes have a really rough night when too many procedures are ordered. But we can also have night where its pleasant and slow. But obviously, there's always time for a little fun. Let's face it, I bring the fun. :)

No comments: