Saturday, November 14, 2009

All of a sudden...


It has been another busy couple weeks. My time in the "bonus plan" where I'm working an extra shift every two weeks is winding down. I only have one more pay period of this nonsense, and it will be back to the standard three nights a week that I can handle(with a smile on my face). I've been surviving it, but it definitely can be a little hard to handle especially on the bad or busy nights. Anyway, I'm going to use my favorite system, the bullet system, to go through what is going on lately.

*Last week, Scarlet and I went over to dinner at Robin's house. Robin's new husband made us dinner! My friend, Jessie, also came. We all had our dogs there as well, as it was Robin's chihuahua's first birthday. Robin has 2 chihuahuas, Jessie has a corgi, and I(of course) have my basset hound. It was really funny to see the dogs together. The chihuahuas were a little uncomfortable having the other two dogs in their house, but soon enough, they got used to each other. With the other dogs being highly vocal, Scarlet seemed a little confused as to what to do. She soon found her voice, and we had quite the symphony at some points during the night. Everyone had fun. Scarlet loves being around other dogs.

*This week, I have my first ever orientee! I took the class back in August, so I could be eligible to train new nurses on our floor. I have a senior nursing student from UT that is in his final month of nursing school. He is doing great so far, and I'm trying my best to let him be more independent. Ultimately, everything he does is under my license, so I will be hovering a few shifts more until I feel totally comfortable with his skills. So far, I've been tremendously impressed with him. He will be with me for 10 shifts. He was really excited that I had so much time off around Thanksgiving, so he could go see his family over the holiday. (I had to fight for that!) In our first week together, we've gotten to have many learning experiences.....giving platelets, starting IV's, external ventricular drains, seizure management, central lines, etc.

*Scarlet went for her yearly checkup at the vet last night, and all is well. She has a wax buildup in her ears, which is very common for this droopy eared breed. She gave us some otic solution for cleaning her ears at home, so it has an easy treatment. She also got her immunizations. It was 4 shots, and she didn't bat an eye. However, they offered to clip her toenails(which I can't do alone because she is freakishly strong), so I gladly obliged. It took two of us to hold her while the vet tech clipped them. Quite the dramatic event for Scarlet, but she survived. Lots of whimpering and movement. I'm glad she performed for them, so they didn't think I was just a lazy deadbeat mom who didn't want to cut toenails. Bratty pup. :)

*For the past week or so, I have had the nastiest ear infection. I usually get ear infections several times a year, but this one has been a doozy. Lots of pain and ear fullness, so I went to see the doctor. He gave me some eardrops that only made things worse, so I called for a switch of meds. Hoping this one makes more of a difference. This infection has caused bad headaches, dizziness, and lots of ear pain as well. I'm thinking about seeing a specialist as well, as my ear infections too frequently for someone my age. I'd rather not have any damage to my hearing.

*And of course, my Husker update. Kansas State went ahead and lost to Missouri today, which put Nebraska in the driver's seat for the Big 12 North if the Huskers could pull off a win. These games are too stressful for me because, as we all know, winning is life or death in Nebraska college football. As always, I called Dad when I got really nervous since he always stays positive. It was kind of funny to chat with him during the game because the game in KC was about 7 seconds ahead of the one down here. Dad would be cheering or booing at the play's result before I even saw the quarterback take the ball from center. Our offense did look a little better than mediocre, which is an improvement. Our defense had some mistakes today as well, but the Blackshirts definitely picked it up in the end. All in all, it was a pretty good win for us today. I love winning. I'll say it. It feels great. Next stop, Kansas State at home to fight for the BIG 12 NORTH! I dislike their coach tremendously, so a win here would be delightful as well. Go Big Red!!!

1 comment:

MaryBeth said...

I am glad to hear that Scarlets appt went well! I wonder if she was upset when you were cutting her nails because she wanted to grow them out and then have them painted... maybe you should paint them now- she might feel better. Even droopy eared pups like manicures. :)