
Well, today was my first official day as a Dell Children's employee. What does this mean? 8 hours of learning about benefits, HIPAA, JCAHO(including a game of Jeopardy), and some retirement thrown in. 8 hours of fun! All in all, it wasn't as bad as it could've been. Everyone was really nice, and I met a physical therapist who was also going to work at the same hospital that I was. She is from Austin, and talking to her got me even more excited about living here. We talked about the live music, outdoor activities, and just how laid back it all is. All of the people I spoke to mentioned how much they loved it here, which reinforced my decision to come down here even more. Although I feel good about moving to Texas most of the time, its always nice to hear how great it is from the natives.
Here are some of the highlights from the day. We got our photo ID's taken today, and they were given to us at the end of the day. As luck would have it, my name was spelled out as "Kathie." A little annoying that I would have to stay after to go get a new one. So when we were let out at 4pm, I walked down to the office to find out it closed at 4pm. Time on my watch?? 4:02pm. Awesome. What makes it better? My first day on the floor is tomorrow, and I will be meeting all of my co-workers with a nametag that says "Kathie." It is easy to fix because all I need is some paper and tape to cover it with my real name. But then I remember that I just moved last week, and I either don't have any tape or I have no idea where it is. Let me think......What would Macgyver do? :) Other highlights include seeing what "business casual" means to the people of Austin. I wore khakis and a nice shirt, but apparently capris, flip flops, and a tinkerbell t-shirt also counts. Jeans are also considered business casual.....I love Austin. I'm wearing my sweatpants next time I have to be business casual.
In other news, I also got to experience my first rush hour since the big move. I've tried to avoid the high traffic times during my days off, but I could escape it no more. Apparently, heading home at 4pm does not allow you to get in front of traffic. Thank goodness for frontage roads! It could've been worse......I didn't have to go anywhere near I-35. I'm sure I'll have another opportunity with the morning traffic tomorrow. I have to be at the hospital at 9am, and I have to take i-35, although only for a mile or two. But with my love of waking up in the early morning and toleration of dumb drivers in traffic, its very possible my language could be quite colorful on the way to work. Mom will be proud. :) I'll try to conduct myself as a lady as much as I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment