
As most of you know, I've been working the night shift for two years now. I will also be working night shift here in Austin, however I get to orient on the day shift at least through the month of July. I have always liked the night shift, but I can't help that I'm a little excited to sleep through the night for THAT long. Working nights is definitely a different way of living....waking up at noon is early, VERY early. You're always a little bit tired, and the only time I ever really slept well was the days that I actually worked over night. Its a constant switch, trying to go back to a day schedule in order to interact with the normal folk. When I'd have a few days off in between shifts, I would try my best to wake up early or just stay up all day. My "transition" day, as I called it, was pure hell. Either I wouldn't sleep much during the day or if I did sleep during the day, I was guaranteed to be up most of the night. There are a lot of pros to night shift also, don't get me wrong. But sleeping 8 hours in a row without waking up was quite the luxury that didn't occur very often.
Now that I'm here in Texas and living as the normal folk, I go to bed at 10pm.(Don't judge me.....there's not much to do when the only thing you have to do is hang out with your dog). I watch my old videos on my VCR, then fall asleep. I sleep so well. You normal people can't understand just how amazing it feels. I wake up BY MYSELF at 7-8am, feeling RESTED. Its definitely out of the norm for me. I get up, go to the gym, go to the pool, read my book, go on walks, watch TV, etc. I'm feeling pretty good right now! Of course it will all change a little once I begin work, But I'm looking forward to meeting some new people. Living as a loner is okay for now, but I like being around people more. I always feel a little dorky laughing out loud alone in my apartment, but National Lampoon's Vacation is too funny. Its been on TV at least 4 times since I've been here. (Is that REAL tomato ketchup, Eddie?)

No comments:
Post a Comment