Thursday, January 19, 2012

Grade 3 Bummer


I had resolved this year to do better with my eating and working out. For the past year, I've been working with a trainer, and it has been great. I feel great, and I am getting stronger. I ran five 5k's in 2011. Monday was just like any other Monday. I worked all day, having clinic with my doctor. I was working out with my trainer and doing jumps when I landed very awkwardly on my right ankle. Immediately, I felt pain, nausea, and weirdness. I was able to walk home before the horrible pain hit, and my ankle swelled up pretty nicely. Cousin Brie came over to help me, as I could not walk, let alone take Scarlet out.

The next day, I went to work. I've never been luckier to work in an orthopedic clinic! They put me in a CAM boot to immobilize my ankle, and I was able to walk on it (although I still walk with quite the limp). My surgeon checked me out and diagnosed me with a grade 3 ankle sprain, meaning that it is possible I tore some of the ligaments. This makes my ankle pretty unstable, so I have to wear a boot for at least a month in order to allow it to heal. My doctors take care of these injuries on a regular basis, but it is different when it is me! My ankle is still very swollen and purple right now. I have to elevate and ice it as soon as I get home from work. I am already tired of the boot, so this is going to be a long month! Once that is complete, then I will need to start into some physical therapy in order to strengthen back up. Hopefully my swelling will go down quickly, as it looks like I have a cankle, and it just feels strange. Fortunately for me, I work with some pretty experienced people that will take good care of me. The plan is to see how it looks next week and go on from there, maybe seeing an ortho doctor(for adults) or get an MRI just in case. Hoping for the best!

1 comment:

MaryBeth said...

Ouch!! I hope the pain subsides quickly! I would hate for you to have to sulk in the corner. I would like you to be able to draw attention to yourself on your own terms.